Samsung Electronics Co Ltd has reportedly stopped the production of Galaxy Note 7, a source confirmed, after reports of fires in replacement devices.
Several of Samsung carriers have halted the sales and exchange of the popular flagship device- Galaxy Note 7. A good number of airlines reiterated bans on passengers using the phones, after smoke from a replacement device forced the evacuation of a passenger plane in the United States last week.
It has been a very bad period for the world’s largest smartphone maker, due to the device been released back the the public after there was cases of phone expulsion some months ago and the smartphone manufacturer recalled 2.5 million Note 7 due to faulty batteries which caused some of the phones to catch fire.
“If the Note 7 is allowed to continue it could lead to the single greatest act of brand self-destruction in the history of modern technology,” said Eric Schiffer, brand strategy expert and chairman of Reputation Management Consultants.
The halt in production is said to be in cooperation with safety regulators in the US, China, and Korea, according to Yonhap.
Five replacement Galaxy Note 7 phones caught fire in the US alone this week, and several of Samsung’s carrier partners announced they would stop selling the phones entirely.
Samsung has not yet commented on the reports, or suggested when or how they will begin again.
Despite the potential $5bn cost of the recall, Samsung’s share price hit an all-time high last Friday, after its profits jumped 6 per cent.