A new £9,500 device from Sirin Labs called Solarin, claims to be the world’s most secure smartphone, incorporating military-grade security and technology used by intelligence agencies.
Sirin Labs, a startup that’s amassed $72 million (£49m) in venture funding, has launched the Solarin, a luxury smartphone with an emphasis on “military-grade” security.
Special features on the company’s smartphone include a switch that activates a “security shield” and enables extra encryption. It also comes with a remote application that allows the owner to locate, lock or even wipe the phone.
Sirin Labs was co-founded by Google alum Tal Cohen, Kazakh businessman Kenes Rakishev and Israeli venture capitalist Moshe Hogeg.
The trio hope to cash in on rising privacy concerns among high-profile corporate executives.
“Cyber-attacks are endemic across the globe. This trend is on the increase. Just one attack can severely harm reputations and finances,” said Tal Cohen, CEO and co-founder of Sirin Labs.
It has all the classic smartphone features, including a 23.8-megapixel camera, 2k resolution screen, 128 GB internal memory and a fingerprint sensor.
Features of Solarin.
- Solarin runs on 2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor, comes with support for 24 bands of LTE, and promises “far superior” Wi-Fi connectivity than standard mobile phones.
- The smartphone features a 23.8-megapixel rear camera, with laser autofocus and industry-leading four-tone flash, plus a front-facing flash. There’s an 8-megapixel front camera with flash and electrical image stabilization.
- Solarin has a 5.5-inch Gorilla Glass 4-protected IPS screen with LED 2K resolution. The smartphone runs on heavily skinned Android 5.1 operating system
- Solarin packs a 4,000mAh battery and has 4GB of RAM and 128GB of non-expandable storage. The company claims talk-time of 31 hours (UMTS) and standby time of ‘over 2 weeks’ for the smartphone. It also comes with Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 support.
- The smartphone comes in four colour options: Fire Black Carbon Leather with Titanium, Fire Black Carbon Leather with Diamond-like Carbon, Fire Black Carbon Leather with Yellow Gold and Crystal White Carbon Leather with Diamond-like Carbon.
- Solarin is water/dust resistant up to IP54 level.
Firmly knocking on the door of competitor brand Vertu and its £6,500 Signature Touch high-end mobile, the £9,500 Solarin is supposedly aimed at the “international business person who carries a lot of sensitive information” and “doesn’t want to compromise on usability, quality or design”
The Solarin was sold online, at Harrods and at Sirin Labs’ first store in London’s Mayfair from June 1, 2016.
Source : CNN